How to Maintain a Healthy Gut This Summer
Sweet summertime is headed our way which, for many people, means sunshine fun and some well-deserved relaxation time. In advance of hitting the beach or hopping on a plane to embark upon your much-anticipated summer adventure, don't lose sight of how important it is to sustain helpful habits that can elevate your gut health. With temperatures waxing and responsibility waning, your gut health is likely to take a beating over the summer. At GastroGroup & Endocenter, our gastrointestinal specialists aim to provide you with the service and knowledge you need to enjoy a healthy digestive system. Keep reading as our Louisiana GI team explains how to sustain your gut health over the summer.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
The summer months are known to be brutal on your gut health, causing a healthy gut to struggle and often making any pre-existing GI conditions worse. Some of the predominant factors that can lead to poor digestive health and problematic GI symptoms, like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, are:
- Dehydration: Higher temperatures mean your body consumes fluids to remain cool at a higher rate, and you might not be maintaining pace in replenishing those fluids.
- Lack of consistent habits regarding eating: Often, if you are traveling or indulging in summer treats, it can prove challenging to think ahead to plans for a nutritious meal.
- Exhaustion: Your summer activities may leave you with a shortage of energy, which ultimately impacts your digestive health.
If you have an existing GI condition, the choice to manage your summer activities carefully can mean the difference between months of optimal relaxation and a summertime passed misery. To learn more about how to manage your specific gastrointestinal condition, reach out to any one of our experienced gastrointestinal physicians in Louisiana.
How does one sustain good digestive health over the summer?
With some careful planning, you can experience a healthy gut throughout the summer. Enjoy your vacations or relaxing beach days, knowing that you are actively taking measures to ensure your GI tract is in good health. Ideal ways you can keep up your health are:
- Drink plenty of water: Remain hydrated, especially if you are out in the sun and sweating profusely. Dehydration can cause constipation, amidst additional concerning digestive issues.
- Eat fiber-rich foods: Add some dark green vegetables and delicious summer fruits into your diet to keep up your fiber consumption, which assists digestion.
- Give probiotics a try: Your gut contains a precise balance of helpful bacteria. One of the ways you can potentially assist your digestive wellness is by supporting those good bacteria with probiotic foods and supplements.
- Plan healthy meals: Summer treats like barbeque, soda, and ice cream may be great in moderation, but be sure to plan ahead for nutritious meals to avoid putting your gut into overdrive.
- Get a good amount of exercise: Stay aware of any extreme heat or humidity, but a pleasant jog during sunset may be a great way to keep your digestive system moving.
When should you see a doctor regarding gut health?
If you experience any of the following symptoms consistently during your summer celebrations, it may be time to visit a GastroGroup & Endocenter specialist to identify and treat the cause as soon as possible:
- Pain in your abdomen
- Persistent diarrhea
- Difficulty passing stool
- Chronic heartburn
If you experience blood in your stool, visit a GI doctor at GastroGroup and Endocenter right away.
Maintain a healthy summertime gut
The summer months often push your gut to work harder to keep your body healthy and on track. Treat your gut well during the summer break and practice healthy habits to help ensure you don't waste a second of your summer feeling under the weather. Should you need advice or professional care to effectively manage a GI problem, please reach out to one of our locations to connect with one of our skilled providers. Our physician-led network of gastrointestinal specialists is devoted to providing patient-centric treatment to people exactly like you. Reach out to GastroGroup & Endocenter in Louisiana today to learn more.